As usual, the primary culprit for the lack of updates: my DSL connection this week has been working at dial-up speeds. Secondary culprit: lack of enthusiasm for posting.
On the other hand, the winter season has been disappointing, with only ARIA the Origination as most likely to be finished till the end. I don’t think I’ll be doing a separate anime progress report for winter, it’s not worth the effort anyway.
- Gunslinger Girl Il Teatrino – has been disappointing so far. Everything about it has been disappointing, from the voice acting, to the animation, music, etc.
- Persona Trinity Soul – Looked mildly interesting, and reminds of Kiba in a modern-day setting (I think it was TJhan who said this). I’ll watch for a few more eps and then decide whether to continue or to drop this.
- Spice and Wolf – Except for the fact that the main girl has furry ears (because she’s supposed to be a wolf-god), the show was decent. And because I usually hate the sight female characters with furry ears, I don’t think I’ll continue watching this show. You could argue it is watchable, but then again, I have other enjoyable things to do and other anime to watch.
- Shigofumi – I was really interested in watching this, and then the way the loli-like main character appeared just sapped my enthusiasm in finishing the first episode.
- Rosario + Vampire – In one of my bouts of boredom, I came across this manga. It was decent and enjoyable, but not really that outstanding. The anime adaptation is average, and if I were to choose, I’d rather read the manga. But then only Kekkaishi and Claymore are on the primary manga reading list, so yeah, I won’t be reading the manga anymore anyway.
- ARIA the Origination – As with the previous seasons, animation, voice acting, and pacing is excellent. No complaints, except for the fact that subbers are slow and I have to make do with raws for the time being. Well, only one subber will do actually, I’m fine with raws until that trusted subber releases their version of the eps.
So while this month was sorely lacking on interesting shows, my other time waster was to chip away at the backlog. I finally finished Paranoia Agent (thankfully), and the scenes of destruction just remind me of Paprika. Giant Robo is still no go, but I finally finished episode 20 of Mobile Suit Gundam. I also finished Planetes! Hooray! To round off the backlog, History’s Strongest Disciple Kenichi has been entertaining me on nights when I feel quite down.
But the other half of my time went to rewatches. The first episode of Macross Frontier really impressed me so much I watched it at least 3 times. At other times I just watched the ED only, just to reminisce about DYRL. It also influenced me to rewatch the first 3 episodes of Macross Plus OVA, and I’m also now halfway through with the original SDF Macross. Nostalgia, indeed.
The other show is Honey and Clover. After rewatching that episode where they rode on the Kasai-rinkai ferris wheel, I realized that not being able to go there myself was not really a big loss on my part. Sure I could have taken just pictures with me, but before the rewatch there was this nagging feeling of some kind of lost opportunity. My Yokohama Cosmoworld experience is already good enough, but if I can I’ll probably go back to Yokohama. There’s still so many places to visit there. 🙂
Now I remember that it is the first month of the year, and there is one thing that has caused this lack of enthusiasm for posting: that brainstorming session on what to do for the rest of the year. Real life issues are more urgent than ever, and what I accomplish this year may very well determine the decisions I am able to make next year. And the decisions I make this year and next will determine how I live the next five years of my life. But thinking about 2009 now is way too early, huh? It might not make sense to all of you reading this blog, I’m very much confused myself. But picture Takemoto in Honey and Clover II, and my predicament has quite a similar feel of frustration. Except for the fact that I graduated from college years ago. ^_^;
This weekend and next week I’m hoping I can muster enough energy to post more. And since I have to stop now before everything else I write becomes complete nonsense, till next, ja!