Best anime series for Fall 2008! Yeah! Some spoilers ahead(or the little points that I could understand from the conversations).
- The murder spree was committed by the guy named Kubo Shunkou. Those parts before the OP that Sekiguchi seemingly carried out were from Kubo’s writings.
- Kanako’s head was placed in a box, and Amemiya killed Suzaki (remember the other doctor/scientist in that box-like research center?), and stole the box. The murder spree was triggered because the crazy Amemiya showed the head of Kanako in the box to Kubo. Kubo became jealous and wanted something like that too. Hence he murdered girls and chopped them up. But he never attained success. Sekiguchi realizes that the things mentioned in Kubo’s novel were real.
Oh I’m totally crazy for heads in boxes
- Amemiya was revealed to have loved Kanako, and not Youko. Having lived with the sisters for 14 years, eeewww.
- It is revealed that Kanako was the research center’s head’s (Mimasaka) daughter. And Youko was also that guy’s daughter. And (if I heard right previously), Youko’s daughter was Kanako. Eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww to the MAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXX!!!
- When Kubo was shown Kanako’s picture in that coffee shop, he realized it was the same girl that was in the box that Amemiya showed him. He tracked Yoriko and learned about the research center from Yoriko, before he chopped up the poor girl. And asked Mimasaka to stuff his head into a box too. The guy is the craziest guy I’ve seen in 2008 anime.
- The body parts that were discovered in the lake largely attributed as the first case of the chop2x murders, were actually Kanako’s arm and legs.
I’m a genie in a bottle–er, a head in a box actually
- In conclusion, Youko killed Kubo who killed Mimasaka . But should she really get thrown in prison for killing a half-dead murderer? The guy deserved to die dammit!
Bloody doctor why do I have my shoulders!?? I said my head only, dammit!!
- For the last part, an acquiantance tells Sekiguchi et al about the sighting of a guy with a box. And when asked what was inside, the guy opened it and a black thread-like dried meat-like thing was in it. Eeeww. Sekiguchi asks Chuuzenji if Amemiya is happy with that. Chuuzenji responds that he must be so, being happy is easy. He then adds something about people stopping (something) and that’s good. (Forgive me that passage must have some deeper meaning I don’t understand.) Actually as clarified in the comments the meaning is to stop being human.
Thoughts/gripes about the show
- Chuuzenji’s sister didn’t have enough screen time. Is that also true in the novel? It makes me wanna read the novel! T_T
- In the middle part there’s too much talk. @_@ This may be part of the story but yeah, sometimes it kind of got boring. Or maybe it was because I understood only a small part of it. T_T
- Because of all this talk, it would be hard to translate then. But I fervently hope for more subs because this is such an awesome show.
- But it doesn’t really take away from the entertainment this series gives. Even though it was about chop2x murders, I didn’t really turn chicken because there was little gore that was shown. In other series where lots of blood and body parts are shown (along with the actual kiling itself), I usually get turned off. Madhouse really did good on this one, it is almost something along the likes of Monster.